Monday, September 9, 2013

On the Hard

Monday, August 26.

The main reason we had a haul out was to have a survey done.  

Most marinas won't allow you to moor there if your boat is uninsured, the insurance company wouldn't give us a quote, unless we'd had a recent survey, which the surveyer wouldn't do unless she was hauled out.  We also just happened to have 8 gallons of bottom paint that came with the boat, so we figured what the hell, we were going to have to do it sooner or later.  


Seeing other boats hauled out in a travel lift didn't prepare me for this experience.  Ben was obviously more familiar with this process than I, but he too was extremely nervous.  She is after all our girl.  I can't speak to exactly what was going through his head, but I felt nauseous, and my swearing got steadily more creative throughout the morning.


The whole travel-lift is controlled by a dude and his lunchbox. 






The rest of the day was taken up by the survey, so we didn't start painting until the next morning.  The boat had to be ready to go in by 1:00 pm so we started at early.  Wouldn't you believe it, we were done an hour early, thanks in a large part to help from my mom, Allegra, and Ben's dad, Randy.








 My mom is a speed painting master,  I can't believe I didn't know this before!  Ben and I figure she painted almost a third the boat herself.  





It was a busy morning, without much time for frivolous things, like grooming, or eating properly.  One o'clock rolled around and we got her back in the water.  Next time I post, I'll talk about our trip up to Cornet Bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment