Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Canada, Coziness, and La Conner

 Around this time of year, when the daylight starts to wane and the skies are dark and grey, my head starts feeling dark and grey as well.  It saps my energy and makes it difficult to do anything, regardless of any good going on in my life.  So, I will write about sunnier moments.

On the last day of summer, as a belated birthday present to Ben's mother, we took her to the UBC Museum of Anthropology in Vancouver.  I love North coast Native art, and local history, and there was much of both there.  Seeing Bill Reed's Raven and the First Men was as impressive as seeing the portrait of Genevra de' Benci by Da Vinci in DC, and even more wonderful.
The photographs taken by a student at the St. Michael's Bay Residential School were heartbreaking, yet mischievous and surprisingly hopeful.  There were sharpies set out, so that any visitor who might know faces could put a name to them.  The testimonials on the wall however, were rage-inducing.  I hadn't realized that a Truth and Reconciliation Commission regarding the residential schools was happening in Vancouver that very day.  They were called boarding schools down here.  I wonder that we have no such commission.
It was a short trip to Canada, and it made me wish for more, so I rode home with a smile in my heart planning future trips and thinking about the healing of old wounds.  It is a strange thing to need a passport to drive up the coast for a day.

The next day was the equinox and Ben and I spent it hanging out on the boat, still at anchor in Cornet Bay.  A storm was expected and we thought we'd keep her company.  But Cornet Bay was so sheltered we didn't get much more than rain, and wind gusts.  The day instead, was the very definition of cozy.


Randy lent us his ancient Stanley thermos so we could have blood orange and cranberry tea.  Check out the cork!
The radio we thought was dead wasn't.  Ben was able to tune in to a classic rock station in Victoria.
Spent some time working on steering and getting the rudder angle indicator to cooperate.
Farley Mowat, good chocolate, and knitting.  
The big compass in the wheelhouse doesn't have a cover so I am knitting one.

Now a week later, the Boat is in La Conner, finally moored to a permanent dock, and snug as a bug in a rug.  We moved her yesterday.  It was gorgeous little cruise, but I am tired so pictures will have to wait.

Finally there is sunshine in my head.

2 comments:

  1. Hilary, I have enjoyed reading your blog. It brings back wonderful memories of the four years I spent living on Harlequin Pup (and a few not so wonderful memories). I envy your adventure.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete